L&D Directors lead strategy and execution for learning initiatives and programs. They possess deep skills in the areas of performance consulting, learning analysis, and project management.
As an independent contributor or people leader who partners with various business and learning partners, the Director is skillful at cross-team collaboration and influencing without authority. The Director will partner with internal and/or external instructional designers, overseeing the learning design and development phases of the project. He or she will be accountable for the successful implementation of the learning solution, coordinating with business leaders, learning facilitators, technology, communication, and others to ensure a successful delivery of the solution. Further, the Director will work with other learning leaders on the L&D Team to ensure the ongoing existing programs are updated as needed.
The Director has experience demonstrating learning impact on business results through data. He or she is an excellent performance consultant and communicator who identifies the root cause in performance gaps, creates solutions to fill the gaps, and demonstrates the impact of those solutions. Orchestrating across various functions in the organization, the Director will ensure the seamless learning and development efforts. The Director must be hands-on, unafraid to roll-up their sleeves and get projects done.
Reporting to and serving as a thought partner to the VP (or SVP) of Learning and Development the Director serves as a consultant and requires a close partnership with business leaders and project team members throughout the organization to support business objectives through learning. He or she also has an eye for detail and drive for results. A successful leader will thrive in our dynamic and changing environment.
- Building Effective Teams—Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; fosters open dialogue; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Customer Focus—Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Drive for Results—Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Ethics and Values—Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values.
- Managing Vision and Purpose—Is optimistic; can inspire and motivate vision and sense of core purpose.
L&D Director Competencies
- Adaptability—Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Communication—clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Managing Work—effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Quality Orientation—Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Work Standards—setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed
Position Specific Responsibilities
- Owns and proactively takes accountability for the execution of role-based curricula and social learning
- Ensures program accuracy, culture fit, operational soundness, learning soundness, as well as alignment between programs
- Drives for continuous improvement of learning experiences
- Provides guidance on program design, serving as a subject matter expert (SME) for instructional designers and facilitating conversations between designers and operational SMEs
- Provides project oversight, driving projects to completion
- Ensures facilitator effectiveness and coaching for the programs he or she owns
- Plans, organizes and executes tasks and activities with urgency and in accordance with supervisors’ delegated assignments.
- Prepares and updates correspondence and documents.
- Responds to and resolves issues related to position
- Takes action on trends and escalating concerns related to L&D programming.
- May be required to meet position related productivity and quality standards.
- Operates office equipment, including copiers and computers.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred
- Strong understanding of adult learning principles and experience employing pragmatic solutions.
- Strong capabilities in the area of data analytics as it pertains to measuring learning.
- Experience providing consultation to senior leadership on strategic initiatives.
- Excellent influencing skills at all levels in the organization and extremely flexibility to be proactive in a fast pace, ever changing environment.
- Experience in developing, implementing and monitoring programs/processes that drive business results.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Excel applications and company operational systems.
About Aspen Dental Management, Inc.:
Aspen Dental-branded practices are supported by ADMI, a dental support organization that provides non-clinical business support to licensed, independent dentists.