Vice President, IT Business Applications
Things move fast at Aspen Dental, but you never go it alone. The idea behind the business model is simple – a support system with you at the center. We’re a community that thrives on collaboration and has fun while doing it. Whatever your role, there is always the next challenge to conquer. Aspen Dental breaks down barriers, provides opportunities, and makes it easier to fulfill your ever-evolving ambitions. Explore a culture of possibility. Because here is where you’ll find lives changing lives.
The VP of IT Business Applications will develop the organization’s strategic business applications plan, while leading Business Applications portfolio directors and Quality Assurance director. This role will be responsible for aligning business applications to ADMI’s business priorities by providing functional capabilities and technology innovations. The VP, IT Business Applications will be responsible for development, maintenance and quality assurance of all applications for the Dental Practices, Construction & Real Estate, Legal & Compliance, Finance and Human Resources Departments. This position requires excellent communication skills in order to keep all stakeholders informed of IT business applications operations, innovation and industry trends. The VP of IT will oversee business applications priorities to ensure smooth and efficient operations, and will have a focus on mentoring and developing department staff.
This position will be responsible for owning and maintaining the software development life cycle process and developing and maintaining strong vendor and IT relationships, with a focus on collaboration and direct communications.
- Facilitate effective and proactive business engagement through strategic planning, requirements definition, analysis, application support, quality assurance, issue resolution and ongoing training
- Manage the business governance process to help define priorities, rationalize needs, facilitate consensus, maintain business accountability and drive near / long-term roadmaps
- Work with Project Management Office and use appropriate methodologies, tools and best practices
- Lead application functions including analysis, requirements definition, development / configuration, testing, user acceptance, release management, system administration and 2nd level production support
- Provide strategic guidance on application solutions, architectures, and support for business processes
- Provide leadership in Managing ERP solution, directly supporting thousands of business users in 800+ locations
- Lead the team that develops and maintains specialty web and mobile solutions, integrated with the core ERP solution
- Define and implement business application team policies, procedures, standards and guidelines
- Lead a diverse team across multiple locations, including all recruiting, staffing, role definition, goal setting and performance management
- Leverage 3rd party application services and consulting expertise as appropriate
- Define, maintain and enhance relevant IT service levels and metrics
- Support IT leadership functions including annual planning, budgeting, status reporting, executive presentations and continuous improvement
- Lead multiple, complex projects and/or technology initiatives and apply innovative solutions to systems and applications problems. Ensure the projects support strategic and near-term goals
- Be a key participant in enterprise and IT planning, and collaborate with enterprise and IT senior management to assure alignment to goals
- Ensure all projects are delivered within scope, budget, and adhere to company governance processes
- Evaluate current applications and identify areas to improve standards, simplify, and enhance functionality and/or transition to packaged solutions to improve supportability and time to market
- Effectively manage application development efforts by fully understanding overall systems and business impacts of each application
- Drive application development process; create roadmap and timing of implementation of the roadmap based on business requirements and strategy
- Provide leadership and management to develop high performance teams; Implement management metrics to support goal achievement
- Analyze financial performance and variances
Minimum Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field preferred. Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related field
- 15+ years of experience in IT business applications, specifically software application development and software development vendor partner management
- 5+ years leading an overall IT team of 40+
- 3+ years direct experience with mobile application platforms and business support (design, development, management of 3rdparties, etc.)
- Previous experience with IT executive management; ability to grow into 2nd in command for Information technology department.
- In-depth experience with top-tier ERP solution leadership
- Experience designing, developing and supporting business and customer-facing web solutions using relevant technologies
- Experience with best of breed software solutions and cloud services
- Experience with Microsoft-centric custom application development using .NET, SQL Server, SSRS, SSIS, etc.
- Practical knowledge of ITIL application processes and implementation
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley and/or key controls pertaining to IT application management
- Outstanding execution skills with ability to deliver on strategic concepts through the use of rigorous methodologies and effective project management
- Hands-on, collaborative leadership style with a heavy focus on business engagement
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work autonomously
- Ability to articulate value-based solutions to complex business problems
- Ability to operate in a high-energy, high-intensity and evolving environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to craft and deliver presentations to senior business executives
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Experience managing, hiring, mentoring, and training application teams
- Proven track record of delivering large-scale, cross-functional projects
- Practical expertise with IT governance, annual planning, steering committee facilitation, etc.
Skills and Behaviors:
- Self-aware, builds people, decisive, create a collaborative environment, sense of humor, integrity, know his/her customers, think strategically, inspire others, forge the right relationships to drive the right results, continue to learn and grow, work through other people and delegate.
- Experience leading during organizational change management preferred.
- Excellent people skills, “can-do” attitude, ability to work with many different types of people with different communication styles.
- Engage and develop relationship with leaders, cross-functional leadership experience with a demonstrated ability to build and lead cross-functional teams. Experience interacting with IT to successfully launch initiatives preferred
- Expert understanding of the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) process
- Hands on technical expertise in the development and/or architecture of systems utilizing current technologies
- Proven project management experience in the implementation of complex business applications including the integration of disparate applications
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and team skills; skills and experience in executive level communication and presentations
ADMI - Chicago, Illinois 60607 United States